Division 2 – December 9th | Division 1 – December 10th
Event Format & Schedules
Teams will compete in a single day event, with 36 Division 1 teams competing on Saturday, December 10th and 48 Division 2 teams competing Sunday, December 11th.
Basic Schedule Overview
– 8:00am Team Registration Opens
– 8:30am Coaches Meeting
– 9:00am Judging sessions and Robot Game begin *
– 12:30 pm Team Activities will begin (more to come)
– 3:45pm Parade of teams
– 4:00pm Closing Ceremony & Awards
– 4:30pm Team Clean up and Load Out
Team Schedules: Division 1 – Division 2 (please search for your team)
* Teams can expect one 30 minute judging session, one 2.5 minute Robot Game Practice Round, and three 2.5 minute official Robot Game Rounds.
Event Maps and Parking
Event Venue: Festival Conference and Student Center, 1301 Carrier Drive, Harrisonburg, VA 22807
Parking is located directly across from the venue (free and no permits are required) in lots C12, D3, R4 and the Ballard Parking Deck.
What to Bring (Teams)
Here is a list of recommended items for teams to bring.
- Two printed copies of Team Information Sheet Microsoft DOC (download) or Google Doc (make a copy) – One copy to be turned in at registration and the other copy will be given to the judges during your judging session)
- Box in which to carry your robot
- Anything you need for your project presentation
- Backup copy of your program (electronic)
- Printed copy of your program, if possible, for the robot design judges
- Cooler with food and drinks (optional)
- Items to trade with other teams such as pins, stickers, etc. (optional)
Please do not bring mission models or maps to the event. There will be practice tables for teams to use!
No FIRST LEGO League event is possible without the support of our volunteers. We would love to have you join us on either December 10th or December 11th. There are lots of ways to help out and training is provided for all positions!
Judges (must be 18+): Interview and assess teams on their work this season. Judges cannot have an affiliation to a team, but those connected to a team are welcome to serve as judges on the day their team is not competing. It is a great way learn about the program and inspire young people.
Referees (must be 18+): Observe and assess teams during the robot game matches. Referees cannot have an affiliation to a team, but those connected to a team are welcome to serve as judges on the day their team is not competing.
Robot Game Support (can be 15+):
– Table Resetters: Help to reset the LEGO model missions after each round
– Queuers: Help to que or line up the teams waiting for their robot game match
– Scorekeepers: Help to enter data from the scoresheets in our the scoring system
– Practice Table Managers: Help teams sign up for practice matches and keep things organized
– Timer: Help manage the clock for each of each 2.5 minute match
Other Volunteer Support (can be served in half day shifts; 8am to 12pm and 12pm to 4pm):
– Registration: Help check teams and volunteers in (7:30 to 12pm only)
– Judging Assistants: Help to que or line up teams for judging sessions
REGISTER WITH FIRST
- Visit www.firstinspires.org, Sign Up (top right) and Complete Profile (or log in to existing account)
- Click on Volunteer Registration, Choose the “Volunteer Registration” Tab, the “Event Volunteering” button, select “FLL Challenge” & “Virginia” to find our event.
For teams staying overnight in Harrisonburg, we have a few room blocks available.
- Courtyard by Marriott (1890 Evenlyn Byrd Avenue, Harrisonburg, VA 22801
- Double and Single rooms available at $104/ Available until December 2, 2022
- Book your group rate for FIRST LEGO LEAGUE
- DoubleTree by Hilton (1400 East Market St., Harrisonburg, VA 22801)
- Double rooms available at $117/ Available until December 6, 2022
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel in Harrisonburg, Virginia Select the days of stay, click “special code” then go to “group code” and use the code ” FLL” .
Other hotels near the Festival Conference Center (1301 Carrier Drive, Harrisonburg, VA 22807)
- Hyatt Place – 1884 Evelyn Byrd Ave, Harrisonburg, VA 22801 • (540) 417-1234
- Residence Inn by Marriot – 1945 Deyerle Ave, Harrisonburg, VA 22801 • (540) 437-7426
- Clarion Pointe – 1440 E Market St, Harrisonburg, VA 22801 • (540) 217-4550
- Hampton Inn – 85 University Blvd, Harrisonburg, VA 22801 • (540) 432-1111
Food & Mealing Planning
Teams can plan to bring in their own food and drinks. We do not advise that teams leave campus to get lunch as they need to be on time for judging and robot game matches.
On Campus Dining: While there is a Food Court at our venue, it will unfortunately be closed for the event (it does open at 4pm if teams want to stay for dinner). Teams can head next door to the East Campus Dining Hall for an all-you-can-eat dining experience. Tickets can be bought at the door (cash or card). Door rate – $15.25 per person.
Delivery/ Takeout (Off Campus): There are several options located within 1-2 miles of the venue.
Jimmy John’s (Delivery and Take Out): Counter-serve chain specializing in sub & club sandwiches, plus signature potato chips. 1681 E Market St, Harrisonburg, VA 22801 – 540.437.1200 – Menu and online ordering at www.jimmyjohns.com
Chipotle (Delivery and Take Out): Fast-food chain offering Mexican fare, including design-your-own burritos, tacos & bowls. 1615 Reservior St. Suite 101, Harrisonburg, VA 22801 – 540.433.0315 – Menu and online ordering at www.chipotle.com
Panera Bread (Delivery and Take Out): Counter-serve bakery/cafe chain serving sandwiches, salads & more, known for its bread & free WiFi. 295 Burgess Rd, Harrisonburg, VA 22801 – 540.433.6333 – Menu and online ordering at delivery.panerabread.com
Chick-fil-A (Delivery and Take Out): Fast-food chain serving chicken sandwiches & nuggets along with salads & sides. 1691 E Market St, Harrisonburg, VA 22801 – 540.574.2232 – Menu and online ordering at https://www.chick-fil-a.com/
Domino’s Pizza (Delivery and Take Out): Delivery/carryout chain offering a wide range of pizzas & a variety of other dishes & sides. 41 Burgess Rd, Harrisonburg, VA 22801 – 540.433.3111 – Menu and online ordering at https://dominos.com
Jersey Mike’s Subs (Delivery and Take Out): New Jersey–based counter-serve sandwich chain serving jumbo subs filled with cold cuts & toppings. 563 University Blvd #146, Harrisonburg, VA 22801 – 540.217.2426 – Menu and online ordering at www.jerseymikes.com
QDOBA Mexican Eats (Delivery and Take Out): Simple Mexican counter-serve chain for burritos, tacos & more, including health-oriented options. 223 Burgess Rd, Ste H, Harrisonburg, VA 22801 – 540.564.1515 – Menu and online ordering at https://www.qdoba.com/menu
Oriental Cafe (Delivery and Take Out): Pan-Asian cuisine including standard Chinese dishes & sushi served in an unfussy strip-mall locale. 563 University Blvd, Harrisonburg, VA 22801 – 540.801.8989 – Menu online ordering at orientalcafeharrisonburg.com
There will activities for teams to participate in while not in judging sessions and robot game matches.
- Championship Scavenger Hunt: Stop by the registration desk and pick up a Scavenger Hunt sheet. Teams can spend time during the day learning about the journey of other teams and meeting volunteers! Scavenger Hunt sheets are due at the Registration Desk by 2:30 PM (each day of competition). Entries will go into a drawing for LEGOs!
- FIRST TECH Challenge Demo (12:30-3:30 – Lower Festival Drum) Learn more the next level of FIRST programming and see some awesome robot action!
- Center for Sustainable Energy Activities (12:30-3:30 – Lower Festival Drum) Join JMU’s CASE program as they highlight sustainable energy through fun, hands-on activities