VA+DC FIRST LEGO League
This year, VA-DC FLL will be offering both in-person and remote festivals. Because of the continued disruptions, our final schedule is still being finalized. We will continue to update teams on this page and on the Festival schedule page.
Festivals must have at least 4 teams registered. After that minium has been met, VA-DC FLL will confirm the event with teams and follow up with payment information. If the minium has not been met two weeks before the event, VA-DC FLL will need to cancel the event and will reach out to teams to reschedule.
REGISTRATION WILL OPEN UP ON FRIDAY, 2/18 AT 10AM EST
*In-Person* Event Overview
VA-DC FLL Explore Festivals will return in-person this year! Each event will look different depending on the guidelines provided by our gracious host venues. Masks will be required by all participants at all VA-DC FIRST LEGO League events.
- Team can expect to attend the event for approximately 45 minutes to 2 hours (depending on the event format).
- Some events will have teams all come at once and others will have teams participate in small groups.
- Teams will display their Cargo Connect Team Model and Show Me Poster. Reviewers will meet with each team for 10 minutes (5 minutes for the team to present their work and 5 minutes for questions).
- At the end of the event, each participant will get to take home their official VA-DC FIRST LEGO League medal with some other season swag AND a take-home STEM activity (this activity is meant to replace the in-person activities that usually occur at a FLL Explore Festival).
- After the event, the awards ceremony will take place virtual and teams will be sent a digitally copy of their award certificate that can be printed for all team members.
How to Prepare your Team
Have the team create a Show Me Poster
Have the team practice presenting their Team Model
Take a look at the Reviewer Documents
Have your team practice introducing themselves and sharing their work with family/friends at a practice meeting! It will help them feel more comfortable during the review session. You can even try some of the “Reviewer Questions” with them (found in previous bullet point).
*Remote Festival * Event Overview
A few VA- DC FLL Explore Festivals will happen remotely this season, meaning that teams will participate virtually from their own communities.
- Teams can be together in one location or participate separately from their own home.
- Event will last approximately two hours with lots of time for breaks and movement!
- Teams will meet with Reviewers for about 15-20 minutes to talk about their work this season, specifically the Team Model and Show Me Poster
- Teams will also be able to check out the work of other teams in attendance and participate in a few live games and activities.
- We will wrap up with a virtual parade of teams and awards ceremony.
Before the Event
- Have students complete the Youth Registration
- Submit materials (2 days before event)
- Team Picture
- Team Model Video
- Show Me Poster
During the Event
- Opening and Welcome!
- Teams will be assigned to a group, then groups will switch.
- Group A: Meet with Reviewers (15-20 minutes) / Check out Team Showcase
- Group B: Activities and Games
- Parade of Teams and Closing Celebration!
After the Event
- VA-DC FLL will mail coaches the team medals, pins, at-home STEM activity, and awards.
How to Prepare your Team
A FLL Explore Festival is all about celebrating the work the team and our Core Values! Team members should be ready to have fun and talk about their work. Reviewers will be checking out the Team Model and Show Me poster before the Review Session.
Before the event…
- Have the team create a Show Me Poster
- Have the team film their Team Model
- Take a look at the Reviewer Documents
- Have your team practice introducing themselves and sharing their work with family/friends on a “practice call”! It will help them feel more comfortable during the review session. You can even try some of the “Reviewer Questions” with them (found in previous bullet point).